Laser scanning (high definition surveys) is essentially the precise capture of three-dimensional information reflected from an object or surface to a light sensor.
What You Need to Know about 3D Laser Scanning
Problems That 3D Laser Scanning Addresses
Why is a 3D laser scanning survey the ideal type of land surveying for so many clients and situations? Here are a few common surveying problems that a well-executed LIDAR 3D survey can solve:
- Slow surveying processes. Old on-the-ground surveying strategies were time-consuming and led to lengthy surveying processes. In situations where clients can’t wait so long for survey deliverables, LIDAR is especially beneficial. The laser scanning process is relatively quick and the creation of the point cloud is automated.
- Access limitations for survey properties. Surveyors can’t always access the properties or land that they need to survey. Areas with rough or largely impassable terrain, or spots that are contaminated or otherwise dangerous to enter, pose challenges to surveyors. Also problematic are busy roads or other high-traffic areas. Laser scanning can map these areas without requiring a survey on the ground.
- Site revisits. Conventional surveying techniques also often lead to problems with missed or inaccurate data, demanding site revisits. These additional site visits can add to the cost of a project and slow down the overall timeline. Laser scanning, which is capable of extracting even the most complex data from a site, rarely misses data or collects inaccurate data. It is alternatively known as high-definition surveying (HDS) for this precise reason.
Benefits of Working with Iping Survey Group
At Iping Survey Group, we pride ourselves on our laser scanning survey capabilities. Here are a few benefits if you choose us for your next survey:
- We can extract a range of different deliverables from your 3D scan. We can extract data from a 3D LIDAR point cloud, meaning we can provide a vast array of different deliverables depending on client needs. These deliverables may include both 2D assets (topographical maps, site or building plans) and 3D assets (wireframes, rendered 3D models, BIM, fly-throughs or other animated visualisations).
- We can handle surveys of any size. Though we are a small business, that doesn’t mean we only take on small survey projects. On the contrary, we are happy to tackle residential or commercial surveying projects of any size, scope, or challenge.
- We provide additional services. High-definition surveying is not all we do. We can also provide BIM modelling, UAV/drone photogrammetry surveying, and more. To learn more about what we offer, please browse our services page.
About Iping Survey Group
Start Your Land Surveying Project with a 3D Laser Scan Survey
Benefits of a 3D Laser Scan Survey
When laser scanning first came along, it solved many of the biggest pain points of the land surveying profession. Some of the key benefits to be gained from opting for a laser scanning survey in Sydney:
- It delivers results faster. Conventional surveying techniques required surveyors to be ‘on the ground’ at a site or property, typically for hours or even days at a time. Laser surveying uses laser technology, light sensors, and the principles of reflection to map properties in rich detail. The technology can reduce surveying times by as much as 70 percent, allowing projects to move forward faster as a result.
- It is extremely accurate. When we do 3D scanning in Sydney, our devices essentially create data points each time a laser signal is reflects back to the light sensor. We map every single surface, building or object that gets in the way of the laser. Measuring one million points per second, this process gives us very accurate maps, right down to the geometrical shapes of different objects or land features.
- It can be used for a range of purposes. Building projects and property developments are just some of the applications that might require a 3D survey in Sydney. They can also be used to chart changes in an area over time, to reconstruct a building or site after an accident or disaster, to survey inaccessible or difficult-to-reach locations, and more.
What Sets Iping Survey Group Apart Regarding Laser Scanning in Sydney
At Iping Survey Group, we aim to provide the highest quality laser scanning surveys possible to our Sydney clients. Here are a few factors that set us apart from other land surveying businesses in the area:
- Our focus on laser scanning. Where most survey companies offer a wide variety of services, we have chosen to focus on laser survey techniques in particular (along with drone surveys, BIM, and a few other services). This specific focus has helped us master the craft of 3D surveying, keep up with the latest evolutions in the technology, and generally stay at the cutting edge of the laser survey service.
- We don’t outsource. We recognise that, when you hire our surveyors — our management staff who have more than 35 years combined experience between them — you are investing in their talents and skills. As such, we never outsource our services to another company that might not have our level of experience or ability. Instead, we handle everything in-house to guarantee the highest quality results for our customers.
- Our experience with different types of projects. We have a background that includes residential and commercial surveying projects of all types and sizes. From topographic surveys to bulk earthwork projects and beyond, there is no surveying project too big for us to handle in-house.